In This Issue:
- Video of HBE Book Club summer event with Mike Zani
- Authors we’re working with now available for programs this fall
- Highlights from the latest Know Ahead List — new books!
- Giving back through bulk book orders
Watch: HBE’s First Book Club Event
What did we read this summer? We thoroughly enjoyed The Science of Dream Teams: How Talent Optimization Can Drive Engagement, Productivity, and Happiness with Mike Zani at Hooks Book Events’ first Book Club event. If you weren’t able to join us, you’re in luck: we’ve shared a video of the program with Perry and Mike on YouTube. Enjoy!
Authors We’re Working With Now
We are excited to be working with so many authors this autumn on a wide range of topics! Explore the books below to find ideas for thought-provoking subjects you can bring to your team or organization. With ENGAGE video calls, these programs can be readily scheduled. Contact Perry for more information.
What’s New: Books on our Know Ahead List
We’re curating a fantastic list of books that can engage your team and stimulate new ideas. Are you thinking about a holiday event for your organization? Consider an HBE ENGAGE online author program. We have ideas for nonfiction books on virtually any topic.
Below are just a few of the books on our most current Know Ahead List. Do you want to know what’s coming? Get the KAL! Contact Louise to receive a copy, or to identify books on other topics for your organization.
- In Uncontrolled Spread: Why COVID-19 Crushed Us and How We Can Defeat the Next Pandemic (Harper, Sept. 21, 2021/M), physician and former FDA commissioner Scott Gottlieb shows how COVID-19 was able to trounce America’s pandemic preparations and outlines the steps that must be taken to protect against the next outbreak.
- The Language of Leadership: How to Engage and Inspire Your Team (Berrett-Koehler, July 13. 2021) shows how to inspire, communicate with purpose and power; and sell your ideas. Joel Schwartzberg has tactics for giving speeches, telling stories, sending emails, posting messages, recording videos, or running Zoom meetings.
- Good Anxiety (Atria Books, Sept. 7, 2021), by Wendy Suzuki, neuroscientist and author of Healthy Brain, Happy Life, explains how to harness the power of anxiety into unexpected gifts.
- In How to Be an Ally: Actions You Can Take for a Stronger, Happier Workplace (McGraw-Hill Ed, Sept. 14, 2021), Melinda Briana Epler teaches the skills needed to listen and learn new perspectives, identify biases, advocate for people in small, everyday ways, build team norms that cultivate allyship, and more.
- In The Future of the Office: Work from Home, Remote Work, and the Hard Choices We All Face (Wharton School Press, Sept. 21, 2021), Wharton professor Peter Cappelli provides employees and employers with a vision of their futures, and the surprising tradeoffs both may have to accept to get what they want.
- Rule of the Robots: How Artificial Intelligence Will Transform Everything (Basic Books, Sept. 14, 2021), by Martin Ford, New York Times-bestselling author of Rise of the Robots, is the essential guide to AI and the future of our economy, our politics, our lives.
- The Cryptopians: Idealism, Greed, Lies, and the Making of the First Big Cryptocurrency Craze (PublicAffairs, Nov. 2, 2021), by Laura Shin, shows the crypto market for what it is: a deeply personal struggle to influence the coming revolution in money, culture and power.
- In Career and Family: Women’s Century-Long Journey toward Equity (Princeton University Press, Oct. 5, 2021), Harvard economic historian Claudia Goldin draws on decades of groundbreaking research to trace women’s journey to close the wage gap and achieve equity at home.
Bulk Book Orders Support Local DC Students
Let Hooks Book Events fill all of your book ordering needs. Through our partners, we can drop ship non-returnable book orders anywhere in the world! Starting with minimum orders of 50 copies, we will prepare an estimate for your approval. Support independent books stores and students in DC city schools, with a portion of our book sales going toward purchasing books for local students.
Contact Denise for more information about bulk book orders.
Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall.