- This event has passed.
To Repair the World: Paul Farmer Speaks to the Next Generation [SOLD OUT]
May 7, 2013 @ 12:00 am
| Event Details
Tuesday, May 7, 2013 @ 7:00 pm
Sixth & I Historic Synagogue
600 I Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
About the Author – Paul Farmer, M.D., Ph.D., is Kolokotrones University Professor at Harvard University and Chair of the Department of Global Health and Social Medicine at Harvard Medical School. He is Chief of the Division of Global Health Equity at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, and co-founder of Partners In Health. He has also served as UN Deputy Special Envoy for Haiti, under Special Envoy Bill Clinton. Dr. Farmer and his colleagues have pioneered novel, community based treatment strategies that demonstrate the delivery of high quality health care in resource poor settings. He is a member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences and of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
About the Interviewer – Claire Pierre, born in Haiti, is a summa cum laude graduate of Howard University's six-year combined accelerated BS-MD program. She trained in internal medicine at the Cambridge Health Alliance (CHA), where she served as chief medical resident and later as clinical director of quality informatics, a role that focused on health care improvement and the use of information technology to support safe and effective patient-centered care. In 2009, Dr. Pierre assisted Dr. Paul Farmer as a volunteer at the UN Office of the Special Envoy to Haiti with President Bill Clinton. In 2010, she joined the earthquake rescue and relief efforts in Haiti where she remained to work with the Interim Haiti Recovery Commission, as the senior health advisor and sector lead. In this role, she worked closely with the Ministry of Health, country donors, multinational organizations, and partners across sectors on key policies and programs to support the long term reconstruction of the health sector in Haiti. She currently serves as director of the Program in Health Systems Strengthening and Social Change in Harvard Medical School's Department of Global Health and Social Medicine. Dr. Pierre co-founded Encite Capital and is the founder of Partners in Profit, an early stage impact investing firm with an open exchange platform that connects entrepreneurs with socially and financially viable ideas to investors and manufacturers.
About the Book – Here, for the first time, is a collection of short speeches by the charismatic doctor and social activist Paul Farmer. One of the most passionate and influential voices for global health equity and social justice, Farmer encourages young people to tackle the greatest challenges of our times. Engaging, often humorous, and always inspiring, these speeches bring to light the brilliance and force of Farmer's vision in a single, accessible volume.
A must-read for graduates, students, and everyone seeking to help bend the arc of history toward justice, To Repair the World:
- Challenges readers to counter failures of imagination that keep billions of people without access to health care, safe drinking water, decent schools, and other basic human rights;
- Champions the power of partnership against global poverty, climate change, and other pressing problems today;
- Overturns common assumptions about health disparities around the globe by considering the large-scale social forces that determine who gets sick and who has access to health care;
- Discusses how hope, solidarity, faith, and hardbitten analysis have animated Farmer's service to the poor in Haiti, Peru, Rwanda, Russia, and elsewhere;
- Leaves the reader with an uplifting vision: that with creativity, passion, teamwork, and determination, the next generations can make the world a safer and more human place.